Friday, September 18, 2015

My Name is Victoria Winters.....

Ring any bells for anyone?  I was a smidgen too young to follow it closely, but those were the words that every weekday starting in 1966 opened the 30 minute daytime soap opera Dark Shadows.

Women in my family did not watch it, but I remember playing at a neighbors' house and her elderly grandma watched it faithfully every day.  It spilled over into my consciousness and that "wooo oooooo" music of the title frames, and the sort of crooked words "Dark Shadows" superimposed over waves crashing over rocks seeped into my head.

Oh joy oh raptures.  Thank you Netflix.  You can get the episodes of Dark Shadows on DVD. 

Lots of them.  Really lots and lots of them.  More than 1200 episodes. 

Wonderfully campy, shot in one take on video tape.  And absolutely riveting.  Talk about complete suspension of disbelief.  Talk about quirky.  Dear One and I are hooked.  Each episode is 20 minutes long and the original commercials are edited out.

Classical drama?  No.....  Best of acting?  No.......  Just escapist fun and good character development.

The 1200 episodes could take awhile.  We are just on number 29.  Woooooo Oooooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...