Saturday, September 14, 2013

Thank You, Grandma

It is not often that wonderful, previously unknown family antiques fall into your lap.

But recently my lap has become quite full with an unexpected, out of the blue windfall of Grandmother and Great Grandmother antiques.  Actually Grandmother and TWO Great Grandmothers.

How I came by them is not particularly important.  One of those "family situations" that every family has but would prefer Not To Talk About Thank You Very Much.  Let's just suffice to say, I have become custodian of some wonderful things.  My mother is enjoying telling me stories about all of them--and I am sorting through all sorts of things.

I love to entertain--and my china. glassware, serving pieces and decorative items have taken a major step up--as I sort through fostoria, silver, china and lovely entertaining grace notes.
Lots of 1900s-1940 linens, majolica and a beyond fabulous victorian cut glass cake pedestal.
Look at this little treasure.  Signed on the back by my Grandma as a child--a decorated "nappy" sweets dish with little mice drawn on it.  In its day, a favorite pasttime of society ladies and children was to paint blanks of china pieces.  I have learned that my Grandma did grow up quite the society little girl.  Part of my stash includes several photo and clipping albums--my Grandma as a small girl had a little circus put on for a birthday party.

It has been an emotional month with the uncovering of the treasure and learning the stories.  I am culling out some of my marginal entertaining pieces and happily replacing with my new stash--from an age when ladies certainly knew how to entertain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...