Thursday, September 5, 2013

Peaches Used to Have Fuzz

We love fresh peaches.

Dear Husbola even planted a peach tree in the back yard and we got a great little crop and had the most delicious sliced peaches one evening.

I have always been attracted to vintage fruit pictures and buy them when we find good ones.
This oil on canvas is currently hanging in our dining room.  I say currently--as it will find its way into the shop one of these days.  The color is terrific and the vintage beaded oak frame is a perfect compliment.

Didn't peaches used to have peach fuzz?  Today's supermarket peaches do not.  But these big peaches DO have fuzz and I bought them at Caputo's.  They had a HUGE wooden crate from Michigan and were selling these treasures for 99 cents a pound.

These are the "bite into them juice runs down your chin" kind of peaches.
This peach has serious fuzz.

This is  a piece of Italian majolica pottery that I just acquired that belonged to my maternal grandmother.  I do not remember the vase in her house--but I do remember the home made hand cranked peach custard that was an important part of summer vacation.

I do sound old as I say that I am sorry that children of today miss out on incredible simple things like real peach fuzz.  Remember how adults used to rib young boys who were starting to get facial hair and say they had "peach fuzz?"  I wonder how many kids today even know what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...