Friday, September 20, 2013

You Sleep Better Under a Patchwork Quilt

Do magazines show beds made with patchwork quilts anymore? 

I don't sew, and have never quilted and have no onterest in learning to do so.  I have a couple of friends who love all things quilt--and they make beautiful ones and they are real works of art.  For 25 years of my life I slept under a quilt of one type or another.  Winter, Summer--my childhood homes had quilts for all seasons.

I am now the owner of two twin bed quilts that were made by my great grandmother.  And they are pristine.
A friend identified them as "Wreath of Leaves" pattern.  They are in perfect shape--no tears or stains or rips.  Lovely. Probably made in the 1920s-30s by the looks of the fabric.
Quilts just say all the nicest things of years gone by.  They have personality and stories to tell--of the hands of the women who made them and the origins of the fabric swatches.  More than anything to me--they speak of crisp late summer nights when you kept the bedroom windows open, and had a kitchen cupboard filled with tastes of summer "put up" in ball jars.

Our guest bedroom has two twin beds and Great Grandma's handiwork is gracing them.  What a treat for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...