Friday, July 26, 2013

The Thrill of A Special Little Table

No denying I like unusual things.

I don't like Modern Much of Anything.  When I say that the only modern things we have in our house are the fridge, TV and washer dryer,  I really am not joking.

I just love old tables.  Ask Dear Husbola--he will tell you I make him nuts.  I am constantly changing and moving tables in our house.  Often.

Recently, we attended an auction that did not appear to have much.  Except two great tables.  I had to get them--one for "us" and one for the shop.

The first is an 19th century side table. French.  Beautiful inlay.  Marble top.  Great patina on the ormalu.  Totally overlooked by the auction attendees and bought for a great price.




The second was a 19th century side table.  Delicate tapered legs and a tiger maple single board top and cherry drawer and base.  Just lovely warm patina.



A little Murphy's oil soap and both are ready for action.  One for us.  One for the shop.  And a third--the one that the french table is replacing--that goes to the shop as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...