Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Persephone Books of London and My Blood Pressure

I promised a little book talk in this blog--and this book talk is a wonderful compliment to the world of vintage.  I have recently discovered Persephone Book of London--and I have found a new book love. 

I take this description from the back of their catalogue, " Persephone Books reprints neglected novels, diaries, poetry and cookery books, mostly by women and mostly dating from the early to mid-twentieth century."

Ho-hum-who cares?  Oh but WHAT they publish and HOW they publish.  Further--they describe that they appeal to the "discerning reader who prefers books that are neither too literary nor too commercial and are guaranteed to be readable, thought provoking and impossible to forget."  They have published 100, including several "classics."  The classics as determined by them--don't think Shakespeare--are paperbacks with startling colorful and eye catching covers.  The other books, are richly published with gray covers and highlighted by fabulous colorful representations of tapestries-fabrics-artwork--and include a complimentary book mark.
I am reading Someone At A Distance by Dorothy Whipple.  I can't put it down.

No--it does not have riveting action,  Fifty shades of passion or foreign espionage.There are no kidnapped children or vampyres or political diatribes.  Her writing is brilliant.  And very English.  Although not all authors that Persephone reprints are from the UK.

I went on the website  www.persephonebooks.co.uk and requested a catalogue.  They sent it within a week--along with a bookmark and a copy of their last issue of The Persephone Biannually which is full of wonderful articles related to their offerings.  I am paging through, making notes--and a VERY long list of the books I want to purchase.
Best of all--they have a bricks and mortar shop in London.  Dear Husbola and I will be in London later this spring.  When The Dear One and I have our separate "afternoon on our own" in London--you can be assured where I will be heading.

They even have folks who will come to your book club to talk (in London of course) and readings of their offerings  including wine and canapes at some.  Oh my.

No mentions of nooks or kindles.  No directions to download text on computers.  Now don't get your bristles up if you own one of those devices and love it.  I speak from ignorance.  Don't have one and don't want one. 

I just want another persephone book with the fabulous rich paper and color and the time to flip through the pages and take a long whiff at the great smell you can only get from a not yet read book.

I feel my blood pressure decreasing already......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...