Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Snow, Color Yellow and Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Enough already.  Here in Northern Illinois winter decided to delay Her Glory until February and now March.
Yeah yeah yeah--ok--pretty look from our kitchen out to the pond.  I will put on my happy Gardener Face and be glad for the moisture--but in this same view--by this time for many years,  gazillions of little snowdrops bulbs were blooming.

I spent a few minutes today focusing on vintage yellow things in our house.  As many of you know, Dear Husbola has planted in excess of 15,000 daffodils over the years--and our yard is a riot of incredible color later in the spring.  I always know we are over winter and firmly into spring and open windows when I see the color yellow.  So--I am trying to fool myself into spring thoughts.
This  photo came out a bit dark--but this is a favourite yellow painting--the Old Schoolhouse in Cowbridge UK.  I bought this framed painting--on tin--years ago at Shepton Mallet in Castle Cary England.  The dealer was a great gal--who had the most incredible eye for fabulous things.  Her stall was always small--but packed with all sorts of one of a kind things.  On the verso--it identifies the school in old ink and lettering.  The Dealer said she had gotten it at a house clearance--and it was turned upside down and being used to cover a hole in a floor board.  The yellow siding makes me smile.  Who painted this lovely piece--easily circa 1850??
My obsession with toleware takes on a yellow look as well.  This 1920s French piece is a book box.  Slender, with a tight fitting lid.
Daffodil theme continuing--I changed the location of a leaded glass lamp so that the flowers could cheer up our living room.

Leaded glass shade lamps had been so out of favor years ago--and I can't imagine our house without them.  They are works of art--and they change dramatically when lit.  Our friends know they come to our house with sweaters on to match our low thermostat and with their eyeglasses--as we have low wattage bulbs in all to give off best color and not to crack the shades.  (but we ply them with prosecco and they do not seem to mind...)

My last piece of yellow--well maybe not yellow--but more cream colored.  Chicken breasts stuffed with cornbread and wild rice stuffing for dinner.

Yes--spring is just down the road a piece.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...