Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The Ghost of Christmas Past

I start out by fully acknowledging that I am part of the problem.  Until today, it had been 13 years since I set foot in a department store.


Necessity required me to enter a department store today.  Unfortunately, Give The Lady What She Wants Department Store is no longer  in business.

I ventured forth to our local Soon To Be Torn Down Because No One Shops There mall--where literally two department stores remain.  Two.  Actually, out of more than 100 possible shops, all are empty except two.

My nostalgic remembrance of the 1960s shopping in Milwaukee or the 1980s shopping in Chicago vanished in a heartbeat as I entered shop Number 1.   I remember the  decorations placed with care.  The high quality boxes that changed each season.  The free gift wrap--they wrapped while one could have lunch in a restaurant next to a big tree and have that Great Pot Pie or Sliced Turkey on Iceburg Lettuce with Thousand Island Dressing.  But I digress.

I entered our local establishement  to be greeted by three Christmas trees that were crooked in their stands and reminded me of toilet bowl brushes.  If I said I saw five other customers in a twenty minute visit, that would be a stretch.  I found two items to purchase.  I finally found a clerk--who was too busy talking to another clerk to greet me.  Our festive exchange went as follows:
Clerk- How will you be paying?
Me:  Cash please.
Clerk:  Do you want to open a Carson's credit card?  (oops, cat is out of the bag!)
Me:  No thank you.
Clerk:  Are you sure?  You get an additional 15% off.
Me:  No thank you.  Cash please.
Clerk: Do you need a gift receipt.
Me: No thank you.
Clerk:  Do you have any coupons?
Me: No.
Clerk:  See--if you opened a charge account, you would get coupons.  Are you sure you do not want to open an account?
Me.  That's ok.  Do you understand I am not interested?  No thank you.
Clerk:  I don't have a box this size.
Me: Fine.
(then after receiving my cash...)
Clerk:  Don't you have exact change?  I will have to go get some if you don't have a smaller bill.
(then--after scraping up some smaller bills from my billfold--I was handed change and my purchase in a plastic bag)
Clerk:  Here you go.
Me:  And Merry Christmas to you too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...