Thursday, October 23, 2014

They Sneak Quietly in the Night

We don't usually see them--but I caught a glimpse the other morning when I was putting the trash bin out at the road.  It was particularly early and barely light outside.

First I heard the vehicle--A van that travelled quite slowly and should probably have a check up at The Muffler Man soon.  It passed by me while I was positioning the bin.  As I was walking back to the garage I heard it pull up to the bin.  Now the bin was stuffed with lots of bags--and the lid would not fit down.

Nobody got out, nobody did anything--but stop at the bin for 5 seconds.  Then move on.  I watched.  It stopped at every rubbish pile on our side of the street-went to the end of the street and did the same on the other side.

In the meantime--I was going out for seriously early coffee with A Dear Friend. I found myself trailing Mr. Noisy out of the lane.  He turned north and then turned in to the next street in our subdivision.

People do throw good things away sometimes.  I will not write the litany of things that I have collected from residential refuse piles over the years.  (I even jumped head first once into a Kohls' department store dumpster salvaging a display rack for a church rummage sale)  Mr. Muffler must drive our area on early Thursday mornings looking to see if our described by some "shabby gentile" town has good antique pickins'.



Recycling is not new--antiques lovers and sellers have been doing it for all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...