Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Old Lilacs

The internet is full of bloggers this spring who are so happy to it finally being Spring and Almost Summer, that they fill their blogs with garden pictures.

This posting is not one of those.

I finally planted my "Promises to be a Reblooming Lilac" and it better be or I will be be most unhappy.

I have also uncovered a wonderful American oil painting on canvas of lilacs.

It is large and framed under glass--which I really like because then it will not get dusty or discolored.
I have also checked my 1848 Language of Flowers book and the lilac is "First Emotion of Love".  A small snippet of Byron follows.  Byron was always so over the top on his poetry--a bit too mercurial for me-- but the Byron writes, "When age chills the blood, when our pleasures are past, For years fleet away with the wings of the dove--The dearest remembrance will still be the last; Our sweetest memorial, the first kiss of love."

I prefer the poetry about the actual lilac and not spent passion that my fellow blogger and friend Carol includes on a recent blog--a lilac poem by Walt Whitman.  You can pop over to her blog-- she fills it with art and cooking and sewing. http://edgestitch.com/2014/05/warble-me-now-for-joy-of-lilac-time

The painting is a knockout.  Available for $195.  Unless it lives in our house for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...