Friday, March 28, 2014

I've Got The World on a String

Antique world globes are a favorite of ours and we buy them when we see them to upgrade our collection or to sell onward.

I thought you would enjoy seeing photos of a tiny wood and paper globe that is also a string holder.  This makes it a collectible that spans two groups--sewing collectors and globe collectors.



Clarke's thread would have given this little four inch beauty away as a premium.  You would put a spool inside and then pull the thread out of the top and have it on your sewing table.  Probably dates from very early 1900s.

Running through my head as I write this is that catchy Harold Arlen 1930s song, "I've Got The World on a String" that was made so popular by Frank Sinatra.  This is a keeper for now.

1 comment:

  1. Beth, what a charming thing to collect. I have never seen one of these before, but I bet it was handy. I spend 1/2 my sewing time on my hands and knees retrieving the spool of thread.I love that you always show things that I've never seen.
    Ginene

    ReplyDelete

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...