Thursday, January 30, 2014

Vintage Indoor Butterflies

I promise not to write a post about the "Winter With the Steel Grip" that is still with us.  I prefer to focus on the longer days and that January is almost over Thanks Heavens.  And butterflies.  I am thinking about butterflies.  Yes Virginia, there will be butterflies again and mosquitoes.  I have some vintage butterfly antiques, but not mosquitoes such the pity.
This lovely vase was purchased years ago in a pick around little shop in rural Kentucky.  Beautifully hand painted with 14K highlights.  Great tiger swallowtail.  It is a keeper.  One of our Forever Keepers.
This lovely agate vintage butterfly brooch was purchased in Prague.  Dear Husbola knows I love bug and insect pins.  Probably about 1900 by the style of the clasp.  Love it.  It is a keeper too.

These are incredible handpainted celluloid butterflies that I bought on a buying trip to England years ago.  I think they came from a fair in Shepton Mallett in the west country of England.  They are beautifully detailed and sit via pins on a handmade lace pin cushion.  One of those "Had To Have Them Never To Sell Them" kind of things.

There are many things in our home that we live with for awhile and then sell on.  Not my butterflies.

If I run into any mosquito collectibles, I'll let you know because THOSE will be for sale.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful collection. That vase is extraordinary. Just stunning.
    -Ginene

    ReplyDelete

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...