Friday, January 10, 2014

Laura Ingalls Wilder and Her Long Winter

Whilst cleaning and sorting during the inside days "of the winter that will never end",  I came across my vintage set of Laura Ingalls Wilder books.  As a child, I gobbled up this set of books and could not wait to read the next chapter about Laura and Pa and Ma and Mary and Carrie and eventually Baby Grace.  This was waaaaaaay before the television series that decided Michael Landon was the Perfect Pa.

I remember being riveted to Laura's adventures and vivid way the pictures of her life danced in my head.  I even asked my mother to make me a Pioneer Lady dress.  I spent many wonderful summer days dragging my coaster wagon around the yard like a prairie schooner and "played pioneers" under the apples trees at Parsonage #2.

If those of us in the Midwest think this is a winter for the ages--have not read  Wilders' The Long Winter.  From the back cover---
"On the empty winter prairie, gray clouds to the northwest meant only one thing:  a blizzard was seconds away.  The first blizzard came in October.  It snowed almost without stopping until April.  The temperature dropped to forty below.  Snow reached the rooftops. And no trains could get through with food and coal.  The townspeople began to starve.  The Ingslls family barely lived through that winter.  And Almanzo Wilder knew he would have to risk his life to save the town."

My series of books is from 1971.  If you ever find a vintage copy of any of the series--snap it up.  A good read--whatever your age.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beth,
    I love this book, also, and Wilder's writing talent. It is a book for all ages. When I loaned it to by Grandmother, she told me later that she could "hear the wind blow" as she read about the big storm. Who could ever forget the part where Wilder describes how tying a rope to follow from the house to the barn was the only way to insure they could find their way back in a White Out. Thanks for reminding me of that. I enjoy your posts as a fellow mid-western antique dealer.Sometimes you've written a post about an auction you've been to and I was there, also.
    -Ginene

    ReplyDelete

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...