Thursday, October 10, 2013

Provincial is Not A Nasty Word

Regular readers to this blog know that I am not a technological loving person.  Some folks wear that as a badge of honor--I am just being honest--I really have no interest in it.

Yes--I have a cell phone--but it is a flip phone with a senior citizen plan (who knew you qualified at age 50!)  But I do not have a kindle, I don't "do" facebook or twitter and I don't text.  Just don't care enough about them to sign up and learn.

I have made a conscious effort to be on the computer much less and to read more.  There are a couple of chairs at our house that are designed for sitting in and reading--and this late summer and fall I am doing just that.  I think I qualify as being "provincial."  Just like Dorothea.
Readers will remember George Eliot and her book Middlemarch and her heroine Dorothea.
I found a vintage copy of Middlemarch at an auction recently and I have started it again.

I read it in high school--but have not cracked it open since then.  "A Study of a Provincial Life"- it says on the frontispiece.  One of the definitions of provincial is unsophisticated and narrow minded.  That is what us "non-techie's" are sometimes called.

I don't think that is such a dreadful thing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...