Monday, October 14, 2013

Midwestern Rag Rugs

My stash of midwestern antiques continues to grow as I acquire more of my Grandmother's things from a relative in Wisconsin.

"Here's the rag rugs that Aunt Tilly made" was a recent comment from the giver and music to my ears.
Now truth be told--I am not sure who Aunt Tilly was.  My great Aunt certainly, if not older.  I guess I need to sort that out, but in the meantime--I will enjoy FIVE rugs that have not seen the light of day for 30 years and were well taken care of before that.
Rag rugs were generally made in the early part of the 20th century from household bits and scraps and fabrics.
In addition to the above pictures--I have two very long rag runners.  The colors in them are vibrant and clear.  After a delicate woolite washing--they are now on the floor in our covered porch.  Perfect.

Little works of art that don't mind being stepped on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...