Thursday, June 27, 2013

Julia Child, Summer Strawberries and Too Much Asparagus

This is the time of year that I usually dig around in my vintage cookbooks looking for dinner time inspiration.

While rearranging a bookcase recently, I came across the copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child that my mother gave me years ago.  The book is the 15th printing dated 1967.
In the mid 1960s, my mother was one of the women who was glued to public television every time Julia Child's cooking program was on.  Viewed in black and white, Julia would create incredible food that really looked good and was light years away from the meat and potatoes, casseroles, Tang, space food sticks enamored generation of viewers.  It was on when I got home from grade school and my mother would be watching it-- she was not a daytime watcher normally--and most often taking notes.  Dad and I started to have omelets and vichyssoise and any number of Julia inspired meals.  When my mother purged her cookbooks a few years ago--this was one I nabbed.

There is a new book out about Julia--and I can really recommend it.  Dearie.  A very entertaining and easy read.  Well written biography.
Did you know that Julia's father was from Odell Illinois, right near Dwight in Livingstone county?  You can get copies of her shows on Netflix.  She really is fascinating to watch--and so real.

So--Jullia is heavy on butter and cream--and I am not cooking like that these days--but I am taking a page from the book that encourages in season produce--and fresh fresh fresh.   Hence--Dear Husbola is being treated to Illinois strawberries...
And very civilized dinners with lots of fresh asparagus.  Well--maybe a little too much asparagus.

Recipe tip-- drizzle olive oil lightly on fresh asparagus.  Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes and cool.  Serve with fresh tomatoes and a slightly undercooked hardboiled egg. I take the easy route and drizzle with Marie's Lemon Herb Vinaigrette which tastes as close to a provincial french dressing that you can get this side of the Atlantic. (found in refrigerated case at grocery)

Thank you Julia (and Marie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...