Saturday, June 22, 2013

Get There When the Picker Leaves

This just never happens.

At a recent roam around kind of day, I recently made a stop at a country shop near my house.  I did not make it my first stop of the day.  Nice weather and no rain called me out of hibernation.  Early summer usually finds me stopping for fresh asparagas, a few filler perennials, a couple of chunks of meat from my favorite meat market--and on this particular day-at a farm that advertised fresh eggs.

Fresh eggs 3 bucks a dozen. 

Then I made my  antiques stop.  There was a woman in a van surrounded by her wares on the parking area and one other car.  I pulled in, thinking she had just made mega purchases from the shop.  I tried to avert my eyes because I did not want to see all the goodies I had missed by not making it an earlier stop.

DARN IT.  Mustard grain painted bucket stool, fabulous windmill blade segment from a ginormous water pump, gorgeous tole tray, wood and iron shelf in original blue surface, etc etc.  DARN IT.

I wandered into the shop and wondered where the shopkeeper was--and then I noticed she was outside with the woman in the van.  Could this be???  Could this be that the Woman in the Van was a picker and my shopkeeper was buying--HENCE all the aforementioned items would be available for purchase?  TO ME???

Thirty minutes later--at the shopkeeper's invitation I am pouring over a mountain of Fresh To Her items.  She is shooting me prices that were incredibly reasonable and must have been a slight fraction over what she paid.  Fresh To Me Picker Goods.

Fresh asparagas-fresh eggs-fresh inventory--A Good Day Indeed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...