Saturday, June 1, 2013

Decluttering Project -- So How are You Doing???

To keep me honest and on track,  I vowed in a post earlier this year, to periodically give you updates on my de-cluttering work and maybe an encouraging "nudge" to you on your similar work.  To recap--my vow was to take five things in our home each day and throw out, donate or prepare for resale in our antique venues.

I am on track, oh yes I am.  Now I admit--that each day I might not come up with the five--but I do have many days where I come up with more than five.  This has been good for me--and it feels so terrific.

What am I finding?  My spice cupboard is weeded out.  The silverware drawer has been cleaned out--and extra given away.  Kitchen gadgets--ditto.  How many slotted spoons does one really need?
Cloth napkins That Have Seen Too Many Washes?  We never entertain more than eight people anymore.  Extras?  Gone.  A bin of old cards from people I don't even remember who they are?  Recycled.  Extras extras-- pencil cups, tupperware and toilet brushes.  REALLY--does each bathroom need a brush--like I could clean two bathrooms simultaneously!  Widgets, knicknacks and general dreck--working through it.  Do I really need that magazine subscription?  Five spray bottles of household cleaner?   Do I need every little widget my grandma gave me?  Why not pick three favorites and move the rest on?

I have read plenty about various plans of setting up boxes to sort in and other tips on making this a bigger deal than it is.  It really is simple.  Do you think you live in clutter?  Do you like the way you live and your house looks?  If so--great.  If not, just start with one small piece of your life--and start the project.  Don't overwhelm yourself with big areas or the large picture.  Just one small area--then move on to another small area.  It works.

OK-don't look in our laundry room--that seems to be the catch all place right now.  But the dreck is not in the living room or piled on the dining table or kitchen counters.  It is working here.  It is the new life plan.

Here's encouragement for starting your project or keeping up with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...