Monday, May 27, 2013

A Girl Loves a Good Book

It is a cold and damp Memorial Day weekend.  Aren't they always?  I am scouring the house and garage for items that will be part of load that I am taking on Tuesday to a consignment auction. Every antique dealer has stale merchandise--and it is time for my once a year drive to a good auctioneer to unload these treasures.  But I find myself taking a few breaks to read a good book I have started.

Will searching around--I focused on two of our favorite pieces of artwork--and they happen to be oil paintings of women reading.  Lovely women depicted with their noses in a book for one and newspaper for the other.  An unusual subject of repose.  The women are certainly engrossed.

This little painting was purchased several years ago at a very grubby early morning antique fair in Birmingham England.  When I say early--to get to this fair we had to be on a train out of Euston station by 5am.  In the midst of general dreck thrown on tables was this little treasure.  20 pounds or about 30 bucks.  Snatched this baby up without taking a breath.


This lovely gal reading a newspaper will be for sale at Odana Antiques in Madison in a couple of weeks.  I think I will put it for sale.  YES FOR SURE.

Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...