Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Unpredictability of an Auction

Dear Husbola and I headed out to a local auction on Saturday.  The usual AuctionZip perusal of the offerings did not turn up any auction too terrific--so we headed out to Sycamore to attend one.  The advertisement promised several estates--and the pictures did not promise much--but the weather was good, the calendar clear and off we went.

The auction was held in a large vacant lot--and outside were six flat bed wagons stuffed with box lots of "stuff" and the inside building was filled with what appeared on first glance as "just furniture." There were a few glass display cases filled with silver and jewelry and collectibles.

We decided to stay- (I should say I decided to stay and Dear Husbola reluctantly agreed.)-The auction began outside on the wagons of dreck--  a true household collection of Xmas decorations, kitchen gadgets, souvenirs from trips taken long ago and mish mash.  Sifting through quickly I was beginning to question whether we had made the right decision to stay and then I spied it.  A cardboard flat containing an early 20th century wooden box stuffed with early recipes. Accompanying it were several other folders of recipes.  Hundreds and hundreds of time worn, kitchen tested recipes on recipe cards--with lots of notations from the cook.  Yeppers--that was going to be MINE.

We also found a pair of great, late 50s industrial style drafting table, gray metal lamps.  Great condition-great look--just the industrial type that buyers are clammering for today.  Yuppers--those puppies were going to be mine too.

Throughout the auction we picked up a few other treasures--including a great set of Russell Wright dishes and serving pieces in the rare chartreuse curry color.  Mid century is hot hot hot right now.  Great.  The stuff I grew up with as a kid is now called mid century.  (Heck--I AM mid century aged for goodness sake.  But I digress.)

Ok--here the box of recipes are coming up for auction.  I have already written a clever blog post in my head about those recipes and a story about the cook.  A woman starts the bidding at $5.00.  Before the blink of an an eye--my $50 ceiling breezes by and the box of recipes soars to $125.  WHAT!!!!??????
I was stunned.  And I did not get them.  The woman who did had a "I will not be denied" look about her.  Wow.  Maybe she was a family member who was bidding from sentimentality.  Maybe she saw them as the start of a new best selling Illinois Prairie Land Farm Recipe Book.  Maybe she was just nuts.

Now--dejected old me was ready for the two industrial lamps.  Yikes--how high would I have to go on those?  Bidding starts.  I get them both for $10.  WHAT!!!!????  Two incredible lamps for $10.00??  I would have paid the $125.00 for them--and $10.00 for the recipe box-not exactly the opposite.

Go figure.  I'll never understand auction mentality.  Regardless- I hope to be attending them till I drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...