Sunday, July 3, 2011

Remembering Kane County Flea Market

It was 28 years ago this summer that I went to the Kane County Flea Market for the first time.  In 1983 and the pickings were fabulous. Primitives, pottery, great painted furniture--you name it.  

I went with several friends and we spent a full day trying to cover the entire fairgrounds that was chock-a-block with dealers and vendors from all over the country.  I bought a blue Hall China ball jug which graces our kitchen to this day.  I remember that the fairgrounds was a dizzying display of vintage and collectable and antique. One of my companions was looking to furnish his new home with antiques--I remember he had a good buying day. Great times.

Yesterday Dear Husbola and I decided to go to the Saturday opening of the market--we have not been in years.  The fairgrounds has seen many improvments in recent years--new buildings and footpaths and we wanted to check out the booths.  It is the Independence Day weekend--and the weather is dray and warm.  Estate auctions have been slim this summer--and we need inventory.

Gosh--let me tell you about the  booths we saw.  It might just be easier to make a list-sunglasses, juju bees and gummie bears in tubs, tee shirts, purfume, knockoff purses, furniture stripping supplies, small kitchen drawer gadgets, new metal garden ornaments, funnel cakes, dried flower displays, new painted metal garden widgets--my head is swimming.  Oh yes--bras and panties in three packs--big sale TODAY!!

We stayed 55 minutes.  I came home and looked at my blue hall pitcher on the shelf in the kitchen and remembered fondly that sunny day in the summer of 1983.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...