Friday, June 24, 2011

Packing for Elkhorn--The Old Girl Might Turn Over 200,000

The weather forecast says fabulous weather--mid 70s and no rain.  Read that again NO RAIN!  YeeeHaw!!  Time to load and pack for the June 26th edition of the Elkhorn Antique Flea Market at the Walworth County Fairgrounds in Elkhorn Wisconsin.  And I am taking an old friend.

My old friend is a very large, very big, getting rusty old green suburban truck who we have loaded and unloaded with antiques since 1996.  The Old Girl is backed up to the garage and I am assembling a large pile of treasures that will fill our booth in the North Hall of the fairgrounds on Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.  It is amazing how much I can pack inside.

I have garden items, french and english decorative smalls, folk art cabinet, wonderful 1950s wrought iron teacart just waiting for someones sun room, vintage fabrics, pillows, and lots of just whimsical STUFF.  I open the garage door and start loading--and stop when I cannot stuff one more thing in the back.  Well-I might leave a bit of room--because I always leave enough space for a few things that I buy on my up to Elkhorn.  The Old Girl might GROAN if I load some concrete garden ornaments, but she doesn't  usually complain as I slam the doors shut and she is stuffed and ready to go.

It may not be on this trip--but she will turn 200,000 some day very soon.  I hope Dear Husbola will be driving because he likes those life milestone kinds of things--in fact--I think he toots the horn when cars turn over a significant number of zeros on the odometer. 

The Old Girl is amazing.  I can't tell you how many times othere dealers have said--:you get all of THAT in a suburban.  Yup--never underestimate the packing skills of a former girl scout and an "almost  eagle scout if he could just have been a better swimmer" antique selling duo.  We stuff it in--and The Old Girl just keeps on chugging.  She is certainly showing her age--rust, wrinkling, fading paint, no air conditioning, and a few stains from a few overturned sodas.

Look out for me this weekend--I am the dealer with that good looking green truck that has some extra zip in her tank this trip--NO CONCRETE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...