Sunday, November 13, 2016

Your Kiddos Don't Want Your Tchotchke

This weekend, the Wall Street Journal had a front page article on bric-a-brac and baby boomers.  It seems that baby boomers are downsizing their homes and "gifting" family treasure on their kids and grandkids--who just do not want it.
I hear that story all the time.  Friends who own and sometimes decorate with family heirlooms and hand-me-downs are lamenting that their kids do not want "that old stuff" even if beloved Granny owned it or used it or touched it.  I particularly hear that about sets of dishes.  No one seems to want Granny's Havilland or Auntie's apple pattern dishes.

I understand that angst.  I am sentimental and love this old stuff.  For me, the greater connection to a family member, the better.  But, as I have no children--all my stuff will someday be owned by people who do not share my last name.  But heck--I have a house full of treasures that were owned by someone else's granny. I am treasuring them and taking care of them.  Such is the life of antique recycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...