Sunday, June 12, 2016

Sometimes You Win, and Sometimes......

The Great American Search for vintage inventory can be mighty frustrating.

I usually follow my gut when it comes to selecting auctions or shops or shows to visit looking for items to sell on.  Because Dear One and I sell the offbeat and hopefully quirky items--they don't hop into car as often as I would like.  Many times we have to make several stops before we find good inventory at a price that we can make some money.

This is the time of year--when every weekend has a million buying opportunities.  Knowing which to pick is getting harder.

The one day, pop up events are all over facebook.  Some events only advertise by posting on facebook--so I have been "forced" to have a lurking account to follow the news.  We get a couple of newspapers and I check online to find yet more events.  Dear One is out of town--so this past weekend I had three days stretching in front of me to follow my gut--and shop till I literally dropped.  I selected three events, grabbed my checkbook and water thermos and GPS and I was ready for bear.

Event Number One:  I had circled this buying event on my calendar weeks ago.  The people involved were good dealers and sell quality--so I anticipated this one.  The day was HOT and since it was almost two hours away--my gut said "forget it."  But what if I miss something GOOD?  So I went.  I should have followed my gut.  I came home, had an aspirin and kicked myself.  I did buy fresh Illinois strawberries though.

Event Number Two:  The day dawned cool and sunny.  The drive was very manageable. The event would have a mix of styles and dealers.  I was familiar with the route and the venue.  The truck was gassed up.  I stopped for coffee.  My gut said "GO".  I went.  Shame on you, gut.  Two small purchases that will realize about a $100 profit.  BLECK.  If brown furniture and galvanized buckets and candles and a cage of live rabbits are your thing--I know the place.

Event Number Three- Back to that social media thing.  This event is all over facebook and I think I saw a print ad.  The setting was lovely.  Parking was a cinch.  Two buck admission.  Friendly promoter.  EUREKA!  WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!   What did I notice-- the dealers were young.  They brought merchandise that was not brown and  it had a quirky vibe.  I took my wheeled cart and made two trips to the car.  The customers were young.  Antiquing is one place where I look for the stroller crowd--not shun it.

So--what did I learn from the weekend?  Look for new events.  Stop cursing social media and pay attention to what shows are getting a buzz.  There are plenty around--I don't have to drive to oblivion.  Following my gut runs about 90% effective--good odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...