Saturday, April 16, 2016

Don't Wolf Down Your Breakfast!

Now what made me think of that phrase?

Maybe waking up this morning to the best day of the spring so far made me think of these kind of Saturdays and growing up and my mother's wise words.


It was days like this that I Absolutely Could Not Wait To Get Out and Play, and breakfast was the necessary "first thing" till I came in for lunch five hours later. ("Don't Wolf Down Your Lunch" was just as frequently heard)  The days were not long enough.

Unstructured play.  Climb that tree.  Make a sandbox ledge full of "bakery items" out of sand and water.  Traipse around the yard with the wagon pretending I was Laura Ingalls Wilder.  (Poor dog Mr.  Twinks.  He had to wear a sunbonnet during those times.)

A recent conversation with a couple of new-ish but becoming dear-ish friends discussed technology and smart phones and how we are tethered to the masters of texting and emails.  Not to worry--this blog is not to rail on the evils of technology.  I simply know what I had to do to give more balance to my life.  My circumstance is not your circumstance and I understand that.

This weekend is semi unstructured play at Little Bohemia.  I have to load the car for a reset inventory trip to Madison this coming week. We sold four pieces of furniture the last week, and the booth needs a freshening.  Dear One is getting the hives in order for the shipments of bees due next week.  There are hostas to relocate and a pond to muck out.

But there is also a new cookbook from Blogging for Books for me to read.  I need to unlock all the windows on the porch and open them WIDE. A teak bench by the pond needs brushing off and to sit  on it awhile.  I want to open Grandpa's bird book and find out if that IS an indigo bunting. A paper Wall Street Journal to read--maybe while sitting on that bench. A healthy crunchy salad to make out of raw brussels sprouts (trust me on this) for supper and a couple of hours of "wander outside and do some unplanned something"--and not worry if it gets done today or tomorrow.


I apologize to friends that I am missing the updates on their lives from facebook.  I further apologize that I do not answer  emails very promptly--sometimes REALLY not very promptly.  You will never get a text from me.  Sundays are totally technology unplugged here--and we are experimenting with Saturdays as well. 

Enjoy your spring days the way you like best--there is not an infinite amount of them for any of us.


1 comment:

  1. I remember Saturday summer mornings as a child. The screen door banging, Mother saying, "Don't slam the door!" and then out to see what kind of excitement we could get into. Very funny picture in my mind of your dog wearing the bonnet. Thanks for the smile.
    Ginene

    ReplyDelete

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...