Thursday, March 10, 2016

Inheriting Stuff and Guilt

When a collector or a dealer finds themselves inheriting family antiques or vintage items--it is not necessarily the wonderful windfall it may first appear.
While many of us lovers of history and family and genuine neat old stuff spend a big chunk of our time with vintage and antiques,  dealers must have a disconnected sort of affection for what they buy and possess.  If a dealer plays the "should I keep it or should I sell it" game with everything purchased--there would be no money  made and overstuffed houses. (actually that IS the plight of some dealers, but Never Mind That Now!)

I am a dealer and I am WAY too sentimental about stuff.  If something catches my eye that I am buying to sell--it is not unheard of that it spends some time in our home.  Because there is no personal connection to these items, it is not hard, after a time, for the goods to find their way into the shop.

Not so easy and clear cut with personal inherited items.  In the past couple of years--I have "come into" quite a few items belonging originally to my grandmother and great grandmother and before.

What to do?  Keep it all?  Stuff it in our house?  Fill closets or bins in the garage?  Keep it or donate it?  Sell it?  Guilt abounds.

But Grandma used that biscuit cutter!!  Grandpa used the camera!  Great Aunt Can't Spell Her Name hooked that rug!  Hobnail glassware will come back in fashion!  I don't know what that tool is, but Great Grandpa used it!


Now the guilt.  I am a person who will walk an extra block to the crosswalk to cross a street safely.  I have NEVER been stopped by a police officer for a speeding ticket.  I draw the drapes when I cut the Do Not Remove tags from mattresses.  And I am supposed to GET RID of inherited stuff??  That Just Is Not Done!

Yes--yes it must be done.  If you are a dealer or collector or just a plain old person--chances are your house and shop are filled with items that did not start with your family--but started in someone ELSE'S family.  Things must move on.  I do not make biscuits.  I will not use the camera.  I can use one but not eight hooked rugs.  Hobnail glassware will NOT come back in style.

For me--it has just meant prioritizing.  I have culled through and kept special pieces for entertaining that I really have and will use.  A few.  Not 100. I have kept the bread and butter plates from Grandma's dishes--because I will use them for hors d'oeuvres at parties, not the whole set.   I have kept a few tools with real patina or character--not the tool box full.  The memories of all the stuff are still there--but there comes a time.

Give yourself permission to keep what you love, and let the rest move on.

1 comment:

  1. Beth,
    I have kept and will always keep one or more things that people in my family made. I have a rug my grandfather hooked, a crochet top my grandmother made me when I was young, etc. and always at least one or two things that remind me of my family members. Opening the big Rubbermaid container every year and holding something remembered from the home of a grandmother's or great aunt's house brings back a rush of memories and reinforces that that person did once exist and the grateful feelings come back. But, yes, one surely has to draw the line somewhere. People come in the shop often and say that they have inherited three complete sets of good china and what do they do with it. I say give it to someone who will use it for everyday. It is much better quality than anything anyone will buy at Crate and Barrel. People used to have attics but not many do now. Yes, things sure come and go in style in the vintage/antique world just as they do in the contemporary market...but, my friend, I think you are wrong about the hobnail glass. Martha Stewart is still producing reproduction hobnail glass carried by Macy's and lots of people are currently collecting and using it in everyday life. The problem is our customer base! I always enjoy your blog.
    Ginene

    ReplyDelete

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...