Saturday, January 2, 2016

Tired of New Year's Resolutions Yet??

Everyplace you look, read, watch or listen there are stories about new year resolutions of one kind or another.  I just got an email from a blog I read--and in ONE MONTH they will help me get my house in order and clutter free and full of good vibes and it will become an oasis of calm living.  The first assignment?  Vacuum, mop or sweep all floors in your house.  Seriously?  Around the piles of clutter?

Chill out!! Post holiday entertaining and commotion means that the house is not neat, no longer clean and needs some work.  But there is something about this time of year that I get "antsie" to purge and clean.  And after this weekend--the Christmas holidays are over. (Epiphany is January 6 so one COULD stretch the mess out a bit!)

Readers of this blog will remember a couple of years ago I recommended and followed the "get rid of five things a day" plan.  I followed it then--and it has modified to five items a week in this house.  Remember--old magazines do not count--nor do catalogues.  But all other stuff is fair game.  Even small things--hangers? deli plastic containers? No item is too small.

This is where being an antique dealer becomes so practical.  My pile of "must go" has just become a pile a "must sell."  I have listed a couple of items on ebay.  Must sell does not necessarily mean that I  personally must sell it.  I work at Twice Is Nice resale in Wheaton Illinois--and some of my treasure is becoming things THEY must sell.

The decluttering process feels so fabulous!  Don't stress out over it.  Start in one little spot.  A drawer.  A shelf.  A closet if you have more time.  One thing is for sure--you don't start--it won't get done.

2 comments:

  1. Beth, I am so proud that I cleaned my basement last week. It took three days and I carried out bags of stuff that I finally decided were not worth fixing. I feel good!
    Ginene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the car FILLED with just stuff Ginene. You bet it feels good. Bravo for your purge!

      Delete

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...