Friday, August 21, 2015

Namesakes

This summer I wanted to try my hand at baking bread.  But Summer refuses to slow down.


My pile of summer reading is shorter, but still has many titles I have not cracked the spine.

The list of recipes using summer produce has been dabbled at--but is not complete.  The middle of August and I only made gazpacho once?  Unheard of.

The ongoing task of unloading "treasure" from the garage?  Modestly successful.

Something about late summer this year is different.  I publish this in late August--as I look at my calendar from this time last year.  This August  for me is so different from this time last year. This August, I am taking some time to reflect on a few "namesakes" that remind me of times when summers did not move so fast and drivers were not so aggressive and people were more tolerant of differing opinions.  (So many do revolve around food....)

Grandma Lenore's State Fair Coffeecake
Jane's Lasagna
Joan's Raspberry Jelly
Mary Lynn's salad dressing
Linda's Salad dressing which was the best, but now I have made Mary Lynn's....
Gayle's Famous Potato Salad
Sue D's Just About Anything to Eat
Ralph's Breakfast Casserole (Who IS Ralph?)
Ina's Quiche (with a few tweeks)
Mildred's Creamettes
Kay's Blueberry muffins

The weather is still warm.  There is time for me to bake that bread.  Summer is still here--although I am hanging onto it with my finger tips.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...