Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Lemon As Big As A Basketball

I am now convinced that Dear One and I have brought home just about everything from our travels.


NO--NOT the above pictured lemon.  I do not want to be responsible for the failing of the entire State of California citrus crop.  The US customs website specifically says that citrus and citrus leaves are a no-no to bring back from travels.  This one stayed in the hotel room at Gatwick airport after following us around Sicily.

Ok--the above lemon from Sicily was not as big as a basketball--but it WAS as big as the 16 inch softball I used to play as a teenager.  Sicily is serious about its citrus.

But the aforementioned customs website DOES say that ketchup is ok.  Ketchup in American English, but in Italian it is "estratto." (very very loose, not even close comparison)
One of our hosts owns the most amazing food shop in the Via Benedictus daily market in Ortigia Sicily.  He is pictured here holding a giant blob of estratto, and the locals shorten it to 'strattu.  How to describe--??  Perfectly fabulous tomato paste the consistency of tomato clay.  A huge big wad of tomatoes, salt and time.

Time means time.  Score of kilos of fresh tomatoes are mixed with salt and slowly dried--3 to 4 days or sometimes almost a week or more.  You think you have had tomato paste?  Maybe in your cooking you have graduated from the small can to the tube of more expensive stuff at your specialty store?  It ain't even in the same conversation.

Dear One and I purchased a blob.  I speak no Italian but smiles--and I ended up with a giant brick that was then packaged in a vacuum bag.  Yessirree--this is KETCHUP Mr. Customs Man.  Right there on your website--right there--KETCHUP!!

I brought home my brick of sunshine and parceled it up in mini pots and froze it.  Next week--Pasta Ala Norma made with the paste.  I'll give you a report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...