Monday, February 23, 2015

I am the Last to the Party

I am frequently slow on the uptake.

Friends know I don't own a book reader or a smart phone.  They know Dear Husbola and I don't own a DVR, don't know how to stream a movie and could not name a current television program. We don't eat sushi unless it is the "cooked" kind.  I don't devulge this in some sort of holier than thou fashion. We just can't find any reason to add these things in our life.

We are current on business matters. In the antique business, we made an inventory change a handful of years ago.  We find our customers want useful and decorative.  We made the change and it is paying off in spades.  A show last weekend was no exception.  We sold like gangbusters and our pack out took 20 minutes. Not much to pack up.  But I continue.

One party I am no longer late to is the Aldi grocery store bandwagon.  Boy, have I been sleeping on the switch.

A recent long browse of the aisles gleaned the following that made their way into my cart:
dark roast free trade coffee, organic raised beef, milk under two bucks a gallon, mixed heirloom tomatoes, sleeves of favorite brown tomatoes (you gotta try these, juicy in winter)  made in france brioche,  balsamic vineagar,  italian olive oil, bunch of tulips, lean fabulous beef brisket, mini potatoes, cutie mandarins, italian dry pasta, french dijon mustard and the list goes on.  The place has great staples and some of the specialty items I look for elsewhere.  Price????  Consistently less than half of another store I know.

On the plus side, the stores are small and very easy to navigate.  On the negative--that quarter to get a cart thing and pack your own stuff is onerous.  The trade off is worth it.

Keep your streaming movies.  I'll take more of that four buck free trade coffee, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...