Friday, August 1, 2014

Who Lives Here?

There is something about paintings of other people's houses.

I don't know the people and I don't know the location of the houses  But I love to buy watercolors and paintings of farms and houses.  And other people love to buy them from us.
Great shading and detail--and how about those bee hives and  free range chickens?  From the days when all chickens were free range and the yolks were serious yellow.
An Indiana artist rendition of bucolic rural life...
A grey and white rendition of a farm and windmill.  Could be any midwestern farm.

Maybe these properties are long gone--I hope not.  But they are alive and well in these oil paintings.



1 comment:

  1. Beth,
    You and I share this love of the art of the house and its environment. And, I'm not past backing up, as I did last week in western Illinois, to sit in my truck on the side of the road and take in every detail of a charming farmhouse and all the outbuildings. I especially like the ones where the barns and sheds were set in a way that makes them look like a setting from a 1940's movie. Each one placed at different angles but close together so getting clean straw from the barn for the chicken coop would be within easy fetching.I had a little farmhouse in northern Wisconsin once on a tiny 17 acre field. But, I don't consider northern Wisconsin to be Midwestern for some reason, I guess because the growing season is so, so short. My dream farm has to be in a place where there is a real spring and autumn, as there is no better place to watch the seasons move across the earth. Art is my passion and I would certainly buy any of the paintings in this post. I like the top one the best.
    ~Ginene

    ReplyDelete

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...