Monday, June 23, 2014

A Few Reflections After Visiting Some Area Antique Shops

I am mentioning no names.
I am posting no pictures.
You are just going to have to trust me on this.

Beautiful day of poking around by myself as a reward to a full previous day of cleaning house.  The introvert that I am means I am either poking around with Dear Husbola.  Or by myself.  Now--just a few random thoughts.  This was a by myself kind of poking day.  Now my random reflections.

--Shops that used to be in business--are frequently no longer in business.  For me, in northern Illinois--the majority of my favorite past haunts are no longer in business.

--There are shops that should be out of business that are still in business.

--There are a few shops I visited that still have items in the same location they have been in for years.  Sometimes MANY years.

--Not sure where the unusual things are anymore--at any price--but they are not in the shops I visit.  It seems that there is a larger accumulation than ever of common, mass produced, see them everyplace items.  YAWN.

--Reproductions and brand new items abound in shops.  My eyes glaze over this stuff.

--Gas is almost 4 bucks a gallon.  Too much money to spend running around to mediocre shops with mediocre merchandise.

--There are no roads in northern Illinois that do not have some kind of construction project going on.  That will be a good thing--but it is not now.

--Sullivan's grocery in Marengo has great rotisserie chickens for $4.99.  Kleins in Elgin has beautiful purple asparagus.  Hubb's Nursery in Marengo has great perennials that attract bees and are deer resistant. ( we'll see...)

--Antiques purchased?  None.  But supper is sure to be a winner tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...