Friday, February 21, 2014

Fly The Flag

It is a long way to an "official flag flying holiday" but I have a real love of American flag vintage items.

A visiting friend recently pointed out that the flag we were flying next to the house was getting shredded by the wind.  I have to admit--this is a winter of scurrying back and forth to the car--and when all this snow melts, we will all see the carnage it has rendered on our yards and gardens.  And flagpoles.  I had not looked up at the flag for a long while.  Shame on me.
Dear Husbola never buys one of anything.  So I knew when I told him we needed a new flag for the pole that he would have to just go into "The Catastrophe Known as Our Garage" and fish one out of someplace.  Yup.  A new flag is now flying next to our house..

The picture above is of a great condition embroidered Old Glory flag--46 stars I think--that would have started life as a decorative pillow case.  The color is spectacular and not faded--.  The yellow fronds are "amber waves of grain" I think.

At auctions, I have found that auctioneers when presented with a current flag  to sell never auction them off--they always give them away to an attendee.  Kind of like a Bible--seems kind of odd to sell a Bible or a flag.  But the vintage renditions can go for big bucks.  Keep your eye out for flag collectibles.  Always a good seller.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...