Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Please! Just say Hello To Me

On a very recent weekend, I found myself antiquing without Dear Hubola.  He was otherwise occupied on necessary tasks--and I have never minded poking my nose into the Midwest Antique Scene by myself.

First up was an auction about 1.5 hours from here.  It was a new to me auctioneer and the website showed some intriguing things--so I headed out at 6am to be able to have plenty of viewing time.

Plenty of viewing time indeed.  I arrived in time to get Bidder Number 1 and was warmly greeted by the numerous auction house staff.  Have you been here before?  Have a free cup of coffee! How did you hear about us?  For some--that is alot of talky talky at 7:30am.  For me--it showed good business sense and interest in a new face with presumably some money in her pocket.

An after auction stop to a nearby  town with several antique and vintage shops was next on the agenda.  First stop-- a multi dealer shop I like for a variety of reasons.  Without exception--the dealers take pride in their shop, with fresh stock, seasonal displays and cheerful help.  There is always a cup of coffee and cookies offered (I passed this time--but they were not store bought!) and a cheerful greeting.

Next stop.  Incredible.  Same town.  Mile down the road.  I counted at least eight workers.  No greeting as I walked in.  Despite several workers passing me throughout the aisles, no one asked if they could help me.  Staff was very concerned about talking to each other--not customers.  When I asked a staff person to take a piece up the counter for me--he reacted like my hair was blinking green on and off.  Later in my visit--when I asked a worker if they could ask a dealer if there would be a greater discount on a $300 purchase--she disappeared--never returned to me and I had to seek her out--and she curtly said no.  She did not offer to call the dealer to ask.  I did not buy the items for the standard 10% dealer courtesy discount.

Common sense in NOT common.  Probably my greatest frustration in life is people in business or who run events  not thinking through what is in their best interest.  Customers want to feel "attended"--and it is a fine line between that and "bothered".  Smart dealers know the difference.

A nod to My Friend Lynne who manages a northern Illinois antique mall.  Every person who walks in or out of the shop door gets a greeting.  Everyone.  Everyday. She gets it.

Next time you see me--I won't forget to greet you-- and Please!  Just say hello to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...