Wednesday, June 12, 2013

So What Are You Reading This Summer??

I owe my parents a great deal of credit for my adulthood love of books and reading.

I do remember early on -- age four --and our weekly visits to the public library.  In addition, not a night went by without a chapter or two being read to me at bedtime.  Never fail.  Winnie the Pooh and the Narnia Chronicles were particular favorites.

I am sticking with my resolve to read more--spend less time on the internet--and really READ MORE.  Persephone Books out of London is helping me do that. www.persephonebooks.co.uk
In an earlier spring post, I told you I was going to visit this bookshop while in London.  And I did.  What a treasure.

 This shop was a 10 minutes walk from the Tube--on a quiet street.  It was a beautiful day and door was invitingly open.
 Just look at this place! They only sell the books they publish--which numbers a couple above 100 now.  I was invited to browse and take my time.
 I was prepared with my list--and selected four books and opted to having them sent home.  I knew that our suitcases were all dangerously close to that 50 pound weight limit--(remember the trips to the antique venues???)


My visit coincided with my two week vacation away from the internet.  TOTALLY AWAY FROM THE INTERNET.  I did not check emails, do research, or venture down the rabbit holes that I find myself doing on the internet when I am at home.  I define rabbit holes as one website leads to another leads to another leads to another--and by then I am starting dinner too late or I don't get that 30 minutes to dig into a book. (or vacuum the dust bunnies but that is a never-you-mind...)

I was letting the internet get-ahold of me--and did not know how to set limits.  That little "can't say no" thread runs through me with the internet. Balance in all things.  So much easier said than done.  I am working at the log in my eye---not pointing out the speck in yours.

My visit to Persephone books revitalized me.  I have purchased a few of their books on Amazon too--so now I have a healthy little stack to carry me through the summer.

Of course the internet is a valuable tool.  I could not coordinate volunteers for www.thirdtuesdaysuppers.com without it.   But it has held me in its golden handcuffs.

So--for this summer at least-- any rabbit holes I follow will be with Alice and Lewis Carroll between the covers of a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...