Sunday, January 20, 2013

Making Soup Not Money

While enjoying unseasonably warm January temperatures here in the upper midwest--I should be taking full advantage and tackling the garage.

We have a big show coming up in February--the Northern Illinois Antique Dealers Association show near Rockford on February 15-16.  I have loads of inventory that needs to be processed-and I need to plan the booth look and other details.

But--instead I made soup.  Not just any soup-- A delicious barley vegetable soup that moves from my unsorted pile of recipes to the vaunted designation of "Keeper".

I don't know the origin of this recipe--and would give full attribution if I knew.  I just know that the combination of spices and veggies and barley makes a particularly piquant soup.  Today I will have a cup for lunch. Then I will tackle the garage.  I promise.

Procrastination Barley Soup

2 quarts beef broth (lower sodium kind--could use vegetable broth-but I used beef)
3/4 cups uncooked pearl barley
2 chopped carrots
2 ribs chopped parsley
1 can chopped tomatoes in juice
1 chopped zuchini
1 can drained garbanzo beans
1/2 large onion chopped
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon EACH  garlic powder, sugar, salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon EACH  dried parsley, curry powder, paprika and worchestershire sauce

I chopped all the veggies in my food processor.  Put everything in a big pot.  Simmered for 90 minutes.  Total yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...