Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Nellie Parkinson and Her Fabulous Sauce

A break from antiques today as I mine through a towering pile of recipe cards.  Yeah right--"someday" I'm going to organize them in a book.  But not today.  And not tomorrow.  I did promise a few recipes on this blog--and this is a vintage recipe after all.

I found an old card--quite stained--and titled "Nellie Parkinson's Chili Sauce."  A flood of memories came over me--as this was a favorite recipe of my Grandma Lenore.

As a child--many summer months were spent in sand country in central Wisconsin at my grandparents' Christmas tree farm.  A small cottage built by my grandfather, nestled in 30 acres of pines of all types that were planted and groomed and harvested for Xmas trees.  Surrounding neighbors--not even close to earshot-- lived on farms--mostly planted for Green Giant and Birdsye crops.  There were many year round residents--this was working farm area--not a resort community.  One of the neighbors was Nellie Parkinson.

Nellie was old when we knew her.  I have no clue how Grandma Lenore got to know her--but since Lenore could get the body to talk back to her at a wake--she must have struck up a conversation with Nellie in the grocery store or laundromat.  Lenore was a superb cook--and she probably would discuss recipes and "what to do with all these tomatoes" with Nellie.

Hence--the chili sauce.  Of coures it is a recipe card with no amounts and the scantest of directions (so I have added some proportions.)   But boy it's tasty. It should cook down to a dark rusty brown and the consistency of a thick salsa.  As a companion to red meats of all kinds-on chicken--YUM-ME!!
Nellie Parkinson Chili Sauce
12 ripe tomatoes (if you are lazy-leave the skins on)
6 apples (same thing about the peel)
3 medium onions
2 cups vinegar
4 cups brown sugar
3 red peppers
1 heaping T. salt
1 heaping T cinnamon
1 heaping T ginger
1/4 t cloves

cook it till thick.  a couple of hours maybe.  on a slow flame.  Then I freeze it in small containers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...