Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What is this French Macaroon Craze?

Before Dear Husbola and I left for Paris this spring--I did a great deal of reading of what was "on" and "happening" in Paris in anticipation for the trip.  Macaroons macaroons macaroons.  Recipes for macaroons.  Decorating with macaroons.  Best colors-best flavors --all things macaroons.

Now--I remember some dreadful soggy things sort of cocoanut spongie things from my childhood.  In my adventurous youth, I got terribly seasick on a boat in the North Sea and I had eaten some "scottish macaroons" just previously.  I wanted no part of the 2011 version of macaroons.

Our vacation started in London, and walking by the beautiful Burlington Arcade in Picadilly one day--I noticed that a high end scottish cashmere shop had disappeared and a garishly decorated top of a wedding cake looking shop had replaced it--Laduree french pastry shop.  French macaroons in London--what next!

Coincidentally, our touring group ate at the flagship Laduree in Paris.  I report a beautiful belle epoque over the top decor in this restaurant. ( I also report an excellent starter and dessert.  Main course--not so much.  But I digress.)  Yes--with coffee we got to taste several kinds of mini macaroons.  Think pastel colored Whoopie Pie.  The two biscuits are almond flavored--and filled with a stiff filling in multitudes of flavors--pistachio-coffee-chocolate-hazelnut--and some much more unusual ones like rose, violet and geranium.  If I were making a guess--and I am no "foodie"-- I think probably that France has passed the cupcake craze and moved on to macaroons.  Get ready American bakeries!

So what do macaroons have to do with antiques?  After we got home, my email contained an announcement for a Shop the Shed event in East Dundee last weekend.  Dealers Joy Frey-Waltmire and Angela Joy Reed had a wonderful antique and vintage event.  The weather did not coorperate--but never mind as these women had tents and canopies and stuffed a smallish yard and shed with gorgeously displayed vintage treasure.  AND MACAROONS!  Yes--boxes of beautiful little pastries.  I arrived at Shop the Shed about 15 minutes after opening--and there was a huge line at check out--a great crowd and treasures being snapped up right and left.  You can bet Shop the Shed will be on my calendar next year.

So--you see that antiquing can satisfy many cravings--including your sweet tooth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...