Monday, March 22, 2010

Be-Backers Make me Crazy

I wonder if the term "be-backer" is exclusive just to the antiques trade? A be-backer is a customer who enters your selling space-- at a a show--and has some sort of personal contact with the dealer over an antique for sale. The be-backer has asked a question about an antique--inquired on the item details or age or origin--or maybe even asks you about a better price. Then --instead of saying "I'll take it" they instead say "I like that piece--I'll be back."

These people make us nuts. They might as well say "Thanks--I am NOT going to buy it" They have no intention of returning to buy it--it is just a more gracious way of them moving on without the purchase. They say they will be-back instead of "good grief your price is to high" or "it isn't what I thought and I don't like it". Trust me--antique dealers would just wish they would say "no thanks" and move on.

Dealers always hold out hope that the be-backer really WILL be-back. And hope they bring their check book and pull the trigger and complete the sale. More times than not--if the person does return to look at the item again--they have brought a spouse or a friend and that is surely the deal maker or breaker. Friends normally say --buy it--and spouses normally say -forget it.

When fellow dealers congregate at a show--in the general schmoozing that happens during a business lull--many times in comparing sales or customers--the be-backers will be quantified--"I've had 10 sales and two be-backers" or "Sales are slow--but maybe two of my be-backers will help to make the show." Or--best yet--"You won't believe--a be-backer actually came back!"

Viva La Be-Backers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...