Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Got Any Jesus?

Every once in awhile, I take a turn at using my limited active retail selling skills and work a day as a floor walker in the shop we sell in. This is an established general merchandise antique mall in Southern Wisconsin that has three floors of selling space belonging to about 50 dealers. Husbola and I sell from two large spaces on the 1st floor and have been in the shop about 5 years I think. The shop owners like to have dealers staff the shop and I enjoy the odd day of taking my turn wandering to help customers, open cases and wrap purchases as needed.

Late last Autumn, while wandering the second floor, a customer walked up to me and simply said, "Got any Jesus?" That was it. I suppose being a preacher's kid and enthusiastic church volunteer--a more theologically based and creative answer should have come to mind--but I stared blankly and said ,"Excuse me?"
"Jesus, JESUS--you know THE Jesus--framed pictures of Jesus--the Last Supper, praying, arms out--you know J-E-S-U-S". The fellow was agitated and impatient.
"Yes-yes--I know Jesus--weeeelllll--yes-let me show you what we have." He and I headed off to look at the mall's offerings.

What he was looking for--and collects--are those early 20th century framed prints that used to grace many homes and Sunday school rooms--Jesus at the table with his disciples--Jesus alone in the Garden--or Jesus with arms outstretched with little lambs and kiddies. All six feet tall of handsomeness--complete with brown naturally wavy hair and blue eyes and clean robes. That Jesus. All the better if they are in their original frames--with no foxing or mildew marks and good unfaded color. The mall had one print--and it was not in the best condition.

My surly customer looked at what we had for sale--"No-No--I already have that Jesus--I am looking for the unusual Jesus." And off he went.

I couldn't help but think if I was a preaching pastor--somehow this would make for good sermon fodder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elkhorn Antique Market August 11, 2019

"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon--to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry ...